There’s growing concern about the price rises from energy companies in the US. With this in mind, we decided to explore some alternatives to heating your home other than using heaters — in this blog piece we’re giving you some ways to keep the cold out this winter which often go unnoticed.
- Thick curtains. Good curtains are actually one of the main ways to protect your house from losing heat through the windows, if possible, get some thick curtains with a thermal lining – the thicker the better.
- Double glazing. As householders, we are often advised to install double glazing to insulate our homes so this might seem quite obvious, good! They are a perfect way to reduce energy bills and combat the cold in the winter, and a long term solution.
- Shut up unused rooms. Keeping certain doors in the house closed will prevent the cold air from flowing freely into the rest of the house.
- Cover bare floorboards. The National Energy Foundation (NEF) state that floors account for 10% of heat loss if not insulated. Use rugs, carpets or filler for your wooden floors. That is all.
- Roof Insulation. Insulate your room and save further on heating bills. There are different ways to do this, but using spray foam is perhaps the best way.
- Upgrade your boiler. Last but certainly not least, if your boiler is more than a decade old, it might be time to replace it with a newer model.